- Onions contain a compound called Amino acid sulfoxides.
- Every Knife stroke into the onion pops open cells releasing this amino acid sulfoxide and other enzymes which reacts to produce Sulfenic acids.
- The Sulfenic acid in onions then forms a gas SYN-Propanethial-S-Oxide which reacts with the water in our eyes to form sulphuric acid that causes an irritating burning sensation.
- Our smart brain immediately sends messages to the Lacrimal glands which produce tears to wash away the irritants and protect our eyes.
- Some ways to prevent crying is by wearing goggles, keeping the onion inside the refrigerator 10-15 min before cutting or by cutting the onion underwater.
“For More Exciting Facts Click – WHY Facts “